Q: If I lost my driver's license in Illinois and moved out of state, how can I get it back?

I followed the given process by the state multiple times and was denied reinstatement with no course or solution to rectify the situation.

2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you lost your driver's license in Illinois and have since moved to another state, the process for getting it back can be complex, especially if you've been denied reinstatement multiple times. First, it's crucial to understand the specific reasons for your denial in Illinois, as this will guide your next steps.

To address this, you might need to obtain your driving record from Illinois and review the requirements that you haven't met. If there are unresolved issues or specific conditions (like fines, fees, or courses) that need to be fulfilled, you'll need to complete these first.

Once you have addressed the issues in Illinois, you can apply for a license in your new state of residence. However, most states will not issue a new license if you have unresolved suspensions or revocations in another state. Therefore, resolving your Illinois license issue is key.

In such situations, seeking guidance from a legal professional experienced in interstate driver's license issues can be very beneficial. They can help navigate the complexities of both state's requirements and offer advice on the most effective way to proceed. Remember, each case is unique, and the specific details of your situation will greatly influence the approach you should take.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: One option is to contact DMV to ask if they could provide details about the reason for their denial. If you choose to consult with a traffic ticket attorney on the matter, having those details could make the most of the meeting. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.