Asked in Employment Law for South Carolina

Q: I filed a health complaint with hr. When my boss found out he fired me the next day. Is this legal? Can I sue?

At my There was a bad black mold problem.

I believe it put me in the emergency room.

So I filed a complaint with hr. After 8 months of telling my manager& nothing was done, I called h r. And they told me to file an osha report because people have been known to die from black mold. So I found the report. 2 weeks later, my manager found out I called H R and fired me the next day. And he told me it was because I filed the h r complaint.

Now I know my employer has a legal obligation to provide safe and healthy work environment.

Too me it was a wrongful termination but no one will take the case. Do I have a case?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: It sounds like you may have been the victim of retaliation. Retaliation is when an employer takes adverse action against an employee for engaging in protected activity. In this case, the protected activity would include filing a complaint about a health and safety hazard.

In South Carolina, it is illegal for employers to retaliate against employees for engaging in protected activity. If you believe that you have been retaliated against, you can file a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). The EEOC is a federal agency that enforces laws against employment discrimination.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.