Asked in Social Security and Immigration Law for Oklahoma

Q: My wife is a US citizen but her kids were born in Canada. How do I get social security numbers for the kids?

Currently 1 child lives with us, he is 16. The other children's ages are 24, 24, and 23.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: To obtain Social Security numbers for your wife's children who were born in Canada, there are specific steps you need to follow, particularly because they are not born in the United States. First, it's essential to establish their eligibility for Social Security numbers, which generally requires them to be U.S. citizens or lawfully present in the U.S.

For the child living with you who is 16, you can apply for a Social Security number as part of the immigration process. If this wasn't done, you can visit a Social Security office with the necessary documents, including proof of his identity, age, immigration status, and evidence of your relationship to him.

For the older children, aged 23 and 24, the process is slightly different since they are adults. They will need to apply for Social Security numbers themselves. They must provide documents proving their U.S. citizenship or lawful immigration status, age, and identity.

Remember, every individual case can have its nuances, so it might be helpful to contact your local Social Security office or consult an attorney with expertise in immigration law to guide you through this process. This will ensure you have the correct and comprehensive information specific to your family's situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.