Fort Wayne, IN asked in Civil Rights, Criminal Law and Family Law for Indiana

Q: I put my son in jail and put a protective order against him .when the police filed the police report there where errors

How do I get this fixed.?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: To address errors in a police report, you should first contact the police department that filed the report. Explain the situation and the specific inaccuracies you've identified. It's helpful to have any relevant documentation or evidence that supports your claim of errors in the report.

If the errors are factual, like incorrect names, dates, or details of the incident, the police department may be able to amend the report. However, if the errors are related to the interpretation of events or judgments made by the officers, these may be more challenging to change.

In the case of the protective order, if you wish to modify or rescind it, you would typically need to go back to the court that issued it. This process usually involves filing a motion or petition with the court explaining why the order should be changed or dismissed.

Given the legal complexities involved, particularly with the protective order and its implications, you might consider consulting with an attorney. They can guide you through the process, help you file the necessary documents, and represent your interests in court if needed.

Remember, clear and open communication with law enforcement and the court, along with appropriate legal guidance, can help you navigate this situation effectively.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.