Ankeny, IA asked in Real Estate Law, Divorce and Family Law for Michigan

Q: My ex is on the deed, the mortgage is in my name alone and I bought the house prior to us being married.

Per our divorce degree I agreed to pay the house till my last child was 18. At which point I plan on retiring. What can I do to make sure I don’t have to pay any more.

1 Lawyer Answer
David Soble
David Soble
  • Farmington Hills, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: The divorce decree is a court order that is binding on both parties. However, the mortgage will need to be paid by someone if it has not matured by the time your last child turns 18. So if the provisions of the divorce decree fail to address this issue, or does not provide that your ex- spouse is required to pay at that time, then without any payment, the mortgage company will likely foreclose on the mortgage and your credit will be impaired as per your fact pattern, you are the named borrower on the mortgage.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.