Brooklyn, NY asked in Domestic Violence and Criminal Law for New York

Q: What do I do when the authorities have not arrested the man who committed a violent sexual assault against me?

I have proof of the assault and a witness

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In a situation where you are a victim of a violent sexual assault and the authorities have not yet made an arrest, despite having proof and a witness, it's crucial to take specific steps. First, ensure that you have reported the assault to the police if you haven't already. Provide them with all the evidence you have, including any physical evidence, documentation, and the contact information of your witness.

If you feel the police are not taking appropriate action, you can contact the precinct's commanding officer or the internal affairs department to express your concerns. It's important to follow up regularly on the status of your case.

Additionally, consider reaching out to a victims' advocacy group. These organizations can provide support and guidance, and may also be able to help you navigate the criminal justice system.

Finally, you might want to consult with an attorney who has experience in handling cases of sexual assault. An attorney can advocate on your behalf, help in communicating with law enforcement, and provide legal advice on how to proceed to ensure that your case receives the attention it deserves. Remember, you have the right to seek justice and to have your case thoroughly investigated.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.