Cedaredge, CO asked in Consumer Law and Civil Litigation for Colorado

Q: My engine was stolen by my mechanic. Car no longer runs replacement engine ran for 50 miles blew head gasket now what?

I have proof that it's different engine my engine was video taped by car dealership 2 days prior when getting oil change. It's an engine that is not compatible with my car. My mechanic denies it but the evidence is overwhelming I contacted the police 2 days ago and they decided it was a civil rather than criminal matter. Stealing my engine is stealing my car it will cost thousands to replace I can no longer work or pay my bills. I had many brand new parts on the car. How can it not be criminal?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In your situation, where you believe your mechanic stole your engine and replaced it with an incompatible one, it's understandable to be frustrated, especially since the police have deemed it a civil matter. The distinction between civil and criminal matters can sometimes be nuanced. In this case, the police might view the issue as a dispute over services or property, rather than outright theft, which is why they categorized it as a civil matter.

You should consider taking civil legal action against the mechanic. Gather all the evidence you have, including the video tape from the dealership and any records of communication with the mechanic. This evidence can support your claim that the engine was wrongfully taken and replaced with an incompatible one.

Consult with a lawyer to explore your options for legal recourse. They can help you understand the process of filing a lawsuit for compensation for the damages you've suffered, including the cost of replacing the engine and any related losses, like being unable to work. Remember, pursuing civil litigation can be a way to seek restitution for your losses in situations like these.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.