Q: I was a victim of domestic abuse several times. What is the clause I can sue exwife for it?

I was an international student (19 years old), who married a Puerto Rican woman (24) right after associates degree. I was starting university as a junior when I got married.

My family was happy that I found someone for myself. they all flew in from Canada, Australia & other parts of wrld to attend wedding at 4 seasons in disney orlando.

3 months after the wedding, I walked in her cheating on me with her coworker. Her response, she will out the affair on facebook & embarrass me infront of family or forgive her. i forgave her. she then tried making me intiticate 3somes with her friends, while drugging me with LSD.

I ran away from her 6 months later, was arrested after I tried to end my life through a car crash (wreckless driving/speeding to hit a bridge)

I was admitted to rehab for each year for 7 years due to the domestic abuse.

I am now able to come to senses. My last rehab was involuntary 6 months for biploar. Tolling statute of limitations. What is the cause of action?

1 Lawyer Answer
Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Sorry to hear about your ordeal. Your inquiry is vague as to when the abuses occurred. You mention, without relating any facts about timing, the phrase "tolling statute of limitations", which is the stopping of the clock for the time counting towards the limitations period, under certain limited circumstances. If you happen to be within the limitations period (whether tolled or not), and the events occurred in the State of Florida, your causes of action might include intentional infliction of emotional distress, battery, and negligence, amongst others. If they occurred in Puerto Rico, only members of the bar of Puerto Rico would be qualified to comment. Regardless of location, if your ex drugged you without your consent, making it an involuntary drugging, she likely committed a crime, and if it was involuntary drugging for the purpose of committing sex acts, likely an even more serious crime - and the local law enforcement agency would address that if within the criminal limitations period.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.