Oklahoma City, OK asked in Military Law for Oklahoma

Q: If retired, where on the DD214 does it say you are retired?

How else does it show retirement?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: On the DD 214 form, the retirement status of a service member is typically indicated in the "Character of Service" section and in the "Narrative Reason for Separation" section. These areas of the form will clearly state if the separation was due to retirement. Additionally, the form will include information about the length of service and the rank at the time of retirement, which can further confirm retirement status.

Besides the DD 214, retired military personnel often receive a retirement order or a retirement certificate, which explicitly states their retirement from military service. These documents serve as additional proof of retirement status. It's important to keep all these documents secure and accessible, as they are necessary for accessing various veterans' benefits and services.

Remember, if there are any discrepancies or missing information regarding your retirement on the DD 214, you should contact the military records office to request an amendment or clarification. These documents are crucial for establishing your status as a retired military member.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.