Columbus, OH asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Ohio

Q: Someone with my child’s school made an MUI report on me. I was not informed and now it’s being used against me in court

The report was made a month ago. I have an ongoing custody battle with my ex. I was never questioned or investigated. The allegations were unfounded. However, the board of DD still shared the report with the guardian ad litem and it will be mentioned in court and detrimental to my case. I did not find out this report existed until now, conveniently a few days before the next hearing and the incident occurred well over a month ago. Nobody will show me the report either. I only know it exists. There is also reason to believe the person has a motive to make false allegations. How is it that I can be kept totally unaware of something, that was unfounded for that matter, and it be allowed to be used against me and potentially cost me custody of my daughter?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Todd B. Kotler
Todd B. Kotler
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Canton, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: This question is missing some critical details neccessary to answer it fully. Has discovery been conducted? Was it conducted by an attorney for this person? If the questioner has hired counsel this is a question for that attorney. Also it is crucial to know whether or not this is a dependency /neglect case or is this a custody case? The GAL's file is discoverable in discovery if it is a custody case rather than a child welfare (dependency /neglect) case. In either event the cure before trial would be to file a motion-in-limine and object as the report is hearsay. There are many exceptions to the hearsay rule so having an attorney to argue these motions if very important.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.