Houston, TX asked in Constitutional Law, Civil Rights and Internet Law for Texas

Q: How would I go about any concerns cyber security on my Google account concerning everything somehow being accessible

Without my acknowledgement or consent?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you're concerned about the security of your Google account and unauthorized access to your information, it's crucial to take immediate steps to protect your data. Start by changing your account password to something strong and unique. Also, enable two-factor authentication, which adds an extra layer of security.

Check your Google account's security settings and review the list of devices that have access to your account. Remove any devices or applications that you don't recognize or no longer use. Additionally, review the account activity logs to see if there have been any suspicious logins or activities.

Google also offers a Security Checkup feature that can guide you through steps to secure your account. It's advisable to regularly perform these checkups to ensure ongoing security.

If you suspect that your account has been compromised, report it to Google immediately. They have procedures in place to handle such situations.

For concerns about broader cybersecurity issues, especially if sensitive or legal information is involved, consider consulting with a cybersecurity expert who can provide tailored advice and solutions.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.