Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Texas Internet Law Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Copyright and Internet Law for Texas on

Q: Are there any legal rights for an individual regarding their voice in the context of speech synthesis?

Progress in speech synthesis, in particular the work of google (tacotron 2) and baidu (deep voice 3 and and un-named copying system), raises the question of the rights of an individual to the use of their voice and I have found no sufficient answer. I am curious if the law even has a stance on... Read more »

Benton R Patterson III answered on Mar 15, 2018

There is a small body of case law on mimicking a famous person's voice (usually a singer's voice in advertisements) surrounding that person's right to publicity that could be used as a basis to claim legal rights in the sound of one's voice with respect to speech synthesis.

2 Answers | Asked in Copyright and Internet Law for Texas on

Q: Can my apartment complex use my image without permission on a promotional account?

My apartment complex posted my picture on their public, promotional Instagram page (taken without my permission from MY instagram), along with my full name and (given that it is their own Instagram) basically my address. I was neither informed prior OR tagged in the photograph, so was I not... Read more »

Joseph Hoelscher answered on Jan 8, 2018

You should check your lease. However, a standard lease doesn't include those rights. In Texas, you have a property right in your image. Certain public images may still be used without permission, but not generally for commercial purposes. For example, if you walk through a live newscast at a crime... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright, Internet Law and Trademark for Texas on

Q: I received a cease & desist letter from a co. for selling their clothing on Ebay. The items are legit. How do I respond?

Cease and desist letter received requesting names and information of all suppliers and that I turn over all inventory for no compensation. These items are genuine items that were purchased from reputable buyers in China so they are not counterfeits, which the letter does not allege. We are being... Read more »

Benton R Patterson III answered on Sep 22, 2017

Its unsafe to assume that because of the first sale doctrine they have no claim. They may be concerned that a Chinese distributor has breached a contract to not distribute the products in the US. An attorney would need to review the letter and all the facts to determine whether you should comply... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Internet Law and Intellectual Property for Texas on

Q: I created a original tune and a dj remixed it to the beat of a popular hit. can I use it on social media free?

Benton R Patterson III answered on Aug 8, 2017

You would likely need the permission of both the DJ and the creator of the popular hit.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Appeals / Appellate Law and Internet Law for Texas on

Q: I just found out that i have been recorded for the past few months and its gone viral can I do anything to find out

My ex boyfriend had been charged with capital murder in 2012 and is appealing his case. And idk what video has been put out there

Roy Lee Warren answered on Jun 25, 2017

Not enough information to discover how you found out and what was recorded. If you were in public, there is no expectation of privacy, making it more difficult to obtain relief. You may try contacting the administrator for the website to have it removed.

Q: Is my idea for a fact compilation database protectable by patent, copyright or neither?

I want to create a fact compilation database that would be used by businesses of a specific industry.

Multiple businesses would import and upload their customer data that would be stored in cloud storage, most likely. The result would be that businesses of the same type within the industry... Read more »

Dr. Jamie Cuticchia answered on Apr 22, 2017

Copyright law used to require that the person seeking copyright for compilations must do more than compiling data. This was the "sweat of the brow" doctrine.

That has changed, however. A compilation of data can be copyrighted, but is must only contain the "facts." Even so little as...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence, Internet Law and Personal Injury for Texas on

Q: Can the law help people who choose to stay away from harmful family members? Especially on social media

It's kind of wrong. To go out of your way with malicious intent. I know who is doing it. My question is why does she get to do that? And everything else

Peter N. Munsing answered on Sep 18, 2016

The law does help but doesn't--you'd have a right to go after her but it would cost you money. So it is a right that only the very rich can afford. However it may be worth your while taking some of that money and getting a lawyer to write them a cease and desist letter, and some to talk to a... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.