Langhorne, PA asked in Family Law, Adoption, Appeals / Appellate Law and Child Support for New Jersey

Q: I had a hearing on my motion for cs modification the judge granted my request. After the hearing The court received.

A request for an adjournment. And gave accepted it for a new court date. Meanwhile I was there and the hearing took place and the ruling was made. She completely changed her decision with no basis except for the other party saying I used to have a trade that paid well. I don't anymore The judge said file a reconsideration Its complicated for me I have mental heath issues. I think the other hearing was not legal? The second one? This has ruined my life for over 12 years

1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
  • Appeals & Appellate Lawyer
  • Short Hills, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: I gather you filed an application for modification and the other side failed to file timely opposition and then asked the court for a new date to be able to provide the court with new information. Unfortunately, this type of settling happens regularly, especially when the court has 2 pro se litigants. To File an application for reconsideration, it must be filed within 10 days of the date of the court order. If not filed within 10 days of the date of the court's order, the court will most likely deny your application, as having been filed out of time (too late). If the focus of the courts order was on your employment background, your reconsideration application needs to focus on why you are no longer able to maintain that type of work, what you have been doing for employment, etc, the income from same and details of your former partners employment setting and income / asset setting.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.