Springville, IN asked in Child Support, Family Law, Adoption and Child Custody for Kentucky

Q: If a parent voluntarily signs away rights for their child to be adopted can their child support be forgiven

If the adoptive parent consents when the bio parent is a over $4000 behind

2 Lawyer Answers
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: Yes.

T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: When a parent surrenders their parental rights, they are essentially giving up all of their rights and responsibilities to the child. This includes the right to have contact with the child, the right to make decisions about the child's upbringing, and the right to receive child support from the other parent.

If a parent voluntarily surrenders their parental rights, the court will typically terminate their child support obligation. This is because the parent is no longer considered to be a parent of the child, and they no longer have a legal obligation to support the child.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.