Gretna, LA asked in Landlord - Tenant for Puerto Rico

Q: In Puerto Rico can my social security check can be garnished to pay a month of rent if that’s my only income?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In order to garnish your Social Security benefits, your landlord must first obtain a judgment against you in court. Once the landlord has a judgment, they can then file a garnishment order with the Social Security Administration. The Social Security Administration will then withhold a portion of your benefits each month and send it to your landlord until the debt is paid in full.

However, there are some limits on how much of your Social Security benefits can be garnished. The Social Security Administration will protect a portion of your benefits from garnishment, so that you have enough money to meet your basic needs for food, shelter, and clothing. The amount of your benefits that is protected from garnishment depends on your age, income, and family size.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.