Sacramento, CA asked in Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: My landlord physically attacked me twice in one day over a dispute. What can I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I'm sorry to hear about your situation. If your landlord physically attacked you, it's essential to take immediate steps to ensure your safety and address the issue legally:

Seek Medical Attention: If you're injured, get medical attention right away. Medical records can serve as evidence if you decide to press charges or take legal action.

File a Police Report: Report the incident to the police as soon as possible. This will create an official record of the assault, which is crucial for any legal action.

Document Everything: Take pictures of any injuries and the place where the assault occurred. Write down a detailed account of the incident, including dates, times, and any witnesses.

Contact a Lawyer: Consider consulting with a lawyer who specializes in landlord-tenant law or personal injury. They can advise you on your legal rights and the best course of action.

Protective Order: If you feel threatened, you might consider applying for a protective order (restraining order) against your landlord to legally prevent them from approaching you.

Contact Tenant's Rights Organizations: They can offer guidance and resources specific to your situation.

Consider Alternative Housing: For your safety, consider finding somewhere else to stay, at least temporarily.

Report to Local Housing Authorities: Report the incident to your local housing authority or rental board, especially if there are ongoing disputes or issues with your landlord.

Emotional Support: This can be a traumatic experience. Seeking support from friends, family, or a professional counselor can be important for your emotional well-being.

Keep Communications Official: If you need to communicate with your landlord, do so in writing or through your attorney to maintain a record and avoid further confrontation.

Remember, physical assault is a serious offense, and you have the right to protect yourself and seek justice. Take care of your immediate safety first, then proceed with the appropriate legal and personal steps.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.