Elk Grove, CA asked in Probate and Family Law for California

Q: What forms do I need to file to submit documents to support my request for guardianship of my little sister

I am trying to get guardianship of my little sister and would like to show evidence to support my request and I understand the is a process to b able to do so

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, to request guardianship of a minor, you will need to file several forms with the court. The primary form is the Petition for Appointment of Guardian of the Person (Form GC-210), which is the main document where you state your case for guardianship. Along with this, you'll also need to complete the Guardianship Petition – Child Information Attachment (Form GC-210(CA)).

To support your petition, you can attach written declarations or letters that explain why you believe guardianship is in the best interest of your sister. These can include statements from yourself, other family members, teachers, or professionals who know your sister's situation. The court also requires the Confidential Guardian Screening Form (Form GC-212), which is used to assess your qualifications as a guardian.

You might also need to complete the Consent of Proposed Guardian, Nomination of Guardian, and Notice of Hearing – Guardianship or Conservatorship (Form GC-020), depending on your specific circumstances. Remember to check with your local court for any additional forms or requirements specific to your county.

After filing these forms, you will receive a court date where you can present your evidence and make your case for guardianship. It's always wise to prepare thoroughly for this hearing, ensuring that all your documents are in order and clearly support your request.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.