Chagrin Falls, OH asked in Family Law for Ohio

Q: How quickly can I gain temporary guardianship and file it

I am trying to enroll my nephew into a school where he would live here in the school district, the school says they need the legal guardianship filed. How quickly can we file a temporary guardianship when the mother of my nephew is with me asking this to happen. The mother lives in the uk and my nephew wants to go to school here and live with me ( the aunt ).

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Todd B. Kotler
Todd B. Kotler
  • Canton, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Sounds like you would need to file for temporary custody in Juvenile court in your county. You would do best to hire a family relations attorney in your county. How long has the child been there? if it is less than 6 months in the state and 90 in the county you may have to file an emergency motion. This is why hiring an attorney to establish this is crucial.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.