Yountville, CA asked in Family Law and Child Custody for California

Q: My son needs help for his girlfriend. She has a temporary custody order her son but the dad has taken the son to another

state. Are you aware of any Pro Bono help they can get here in Santa Rosa CA??

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In a situation like this, seeking legal assistance is crucial. Since the father has taken the child to another state, it's important to understand how the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA) applies, as it governs custody issues across state lines.

In Santa Rosa, CA, there are several organizations that offer pro bono legal services. One option is the Legal Aid of Sonoma County, which provides assistance in family law matters. Another resource is the California Lawyers Association, which has a directory of legal aid organizations that could offer support in your son's girlfriend's situation.

It's also advisable to contact the local bar association. They often have referral services to attorneys who might take on cases pro bono or at a reduced fee. Additionally, law schools in the area might have legal clinics where law students, supervised by licensed attorneys, provide free legal aid.

Remember, it's important to act swiftly in custody matters, especially when they involve interstate issues. Legal professionals can guide you through the complexities of the case and help ensure the best interests of the child are protected.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.