Las Vegas, NV asked in Employment Law for Nevada

Q: Can I ask my company for back pay in gas stipends?

I work for a small company in Nevada who provides gas stipends to their employees. We use our own vehicles to travel to and from clients. It was brought to my attention that every employee gets a gas stipend besides myself. I have worked for this company for 4 months. Can I ask my employer to pay me back pay for the gas stipends they have not paid me in the 4 months I've worked here? And if they say no, what would you recommend my next step be?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Licensed in Nevada

A: If you haven't been receiving gas stipends for work-related travel and want to request back pay.

Begin by reviewing company policies, handbooks, or employment contracts regarding gas stipends to understand eligibility and conditions. Document all work-related travel meticulously for potential evidence. Schedule a private meeting with your manager or benefits administrator to discuss the issue, explaining your situation politely and seeking clarification on the discrepancy. If necessary, negotiate for back pay based on your findings and company policies. If your request is denied, consider your options, such as accepting the decision, or filing a complaint with the Nevada Department of Labor.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.