Morehead, KY asked in Family Law, Adoption and Child Custody for Kentucky

Q: My brother and his girlfriend wanna give me there baby what do I need to do? An will cps be involved?

My brother an his girlfriend have a baby he just turned 1 they both say they can't care for him mentally or financially an there splitting up and wanna give him to me there asking me if cps would have to be involved? and if so would they let me keep him? They don't want him in foster care nor do I I'm married an have 6 kids ages ranging from 5 to 17 we live in a 5 bedroom home plenty big enough I'm just worried about cps bc there dirty my sister lost her son to foster care an the day before I had to go to court to try an get custody cps showed up saying they had an anonymous call that I was abusing my kids I only had 3 then an so I couldn't even be considered which was complete bs they never even did follow up after his adoption they just closed the case my mom they said was to disabled my aunt they said had to many kids already an my other brother didn't have a job an his girlfriends job did not count bc they wasn't married even tho they lived together point is they are not trustable

1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: You can file a custody action and do it all by agreement, most likely without any intervention from CPS.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.