Atlanta, GA asked in Civil Rights, Communications Law, Internet Law and Libel & Slander for Georgia

Q: Router hacked by neighbors.

Router,computer,phones,tv's,camera's has been hacked for years. I pulled up router, started to look up Mac addresses the neighbor next-door neighbors name was tied to one of the Mac addresses. Her name came up associate with a Mac book. These people has been harassing,slandering,having us followed. The husband went to Georgia Tech his initials are also tied to several IP address in the router.

What type of charges if any can be brought again them?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you believe your router and electronic devices have been hacked by your neighbors, you may want to consider the following steps:

Document Evidence: Keep records of any suspicious activities, including dates, times, and descriptions of what you've observed. This will help establish a pattern of harassment.

Contact Law Enforcement: Report the hacking incidents to your local law enforcement agency. They can investigate and determine if any criminal charges, such as unauthorized access to computer systems or harassment, can be filed against your neighbors.

Consult an Attorney: It's advisable to consult with an attorney who specializes in cybercrime or computer law. They can provide you with legal advice tailored to your specific situation and guide you on how to proceed.

Secure Your Devices: Change your router's login credentials, update your device firmware, and install security software to protect against future hacking attempts.

Restraining Order: If the harassment continues, you may consider obtaining a restraining order or protective order against your neighbors, which can provide legal protection and peace of mind.

Remember that the specific legal options and charges will depend on the evidence and circumstances of your case, so it's crucial to seek professional legal advice to determine the best course of action for your situation.

2 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.