Seattle, WA asked in Constitutional Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Washington

Q: Washington state citizens would do what to reinstate the Grand Jury as in the US Constitution?

The Washington State Constitution currently states:

Section 26 Grand Jury: No grand jury shall be drawn or summoned in any county, except the superior judge thereof shall so order.

The Office of the Code Reviser apparently revises the constitution upon request, which has been reduced to simply "the document that describes the structure and function of the government of the U.S. State of Washington."

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: To reinstate the Grand Jury system in Washington State as outlined in the U.S. Constitution, a significant legal and legislative process would need to be followed. This would involve amending the Washington State Constitution, which is a complex procedure.

The process begins with proposing an amendment. This can be done either by a two-thirds majority vote in both houses of the Washington State Legislature or by a citizen initiative, which requires gathering a significant number of signatures from registered voters.

Once a proposed amendment is on the table, it must be ratified. This means it needs to be approved by a majority of voters in a general election. It's important to note that changing a state constitution is a substantial undertaking, reflecting a major shift in legal and judicial policy.

If you're considering pursuing this path, it might be helpful to consult with a legal professional who has experience in constitutional law and the legislative process. They can guide you through the complexities of this procedure and help in formulating an effective approach.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.