Houston, TX asked in Landlord - Tenant for Texas

Q: What are my rights if landlord do not want to make repairs and the repairs have us in an unsafe environment

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
John Cucci Jr.
John Cucci Jr. pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: Your written lease would probably have this issue explained. If the lease does not have any reference to this situation, you can call, and text or write your landlord about the specific danger and the specific problem and state that if they do not correct the danger within 24 hours, you will do so or hire a professional to fix the danger.

If you are ignored, or the problem is not fixed after sending the above message, Then you can have it fixed, and if you keep your receipt, you can reduce the rent you will pay by the amount paid for the repairs.

It is best to call two (2) professionals or get two estimates, before you have the work done.

I hope this helps. Good Luck!

John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: A landlord duty to repair or remedy, what notice a tenant is required to give, how much time is allowed, and when a tenant can make repairs themselves and deduct the cost from their rent are painstakingly detailed in Sections 92.051-92.062 of the Texas Property Code. These are fairly detailed, specific statutes that most people can read, understand, and follow. I highly recommend you carefully read them.

If you do not understand what a specific section means or whether it applies to your situation, ask a question about that specific section. Summarizing all of the possibilities without any knowledge of your particular facts would be extremely difficult and time-consuming, and would likely exceed the character limit for answers in this Q&A forum.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.