San Francisco, CA asked in Social Security and Public Benefits for California

Q: Can a lawyer help me get my benefits for social security disability back

I am disabled with heart failure and sclera adorma and lupus and mental and haveBeen receiving been receiving SSDI4 years and I just learned not only did my benefits stop in June of this year. But they say they overpaid me and I guess I'm not getting a check. I never got a notice somebody please help me. I have bills & a child to feed

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Yes, a lawyer can assist you in navigating the complexities of social security disability (SSDI) issues, including the cessation of benefits and overpayment claims. Attorneys experienced in social security law understand the procedures and regulations governing SSDI and can help you understand your rights and options.

If your SSDI benefits have been discontinued or if you've been informed of an overpayment, an attorney can review your case to determine the best course of action. They can help in gathering necessary medical documentation, employment history, and other relevant information to support your claim.

Moreover, a lawyer can represent you in communications and negotiations with the Social Security Administration. This includes filing for reconsideration, representing you at hearings, and appealing decisions if necessary.

It's important to act quickly, as there are often strict deadlines for responding to notices from the Social Security Administration. Consulting with an attorney as soon as possible can help ensure that your rights are protected and that you take the appropriate steps to address your situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.