Asked in Social Security, Family Law and Child Support for Tennessee

Q: Can I sue my child’s father for not telling me he’s gets full SSI before having our child? He doesn’t help either!

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In the United States, the issue of child support and the financial responsibilities of parents are generally determined by state laws and family courts. If your child's father receives full SSI (Supplemental Security Income), it typically indicates a limited ability to work due to disability, age, or other factors. SSI benefits are intended to provide for the basic needs of the individual receiving them.

Regarding your situation, the fact that he did not disclose his SSI status before having a child may not be grounds for a lawsuit in itself. However, you can certainly seek child support through family court. The court will consider his income, which includes his SSI benefits, and your income when determining child support obligations.

It's important to remember that each case is unique and the court's decision will be based on the specific circumstances of your case. If he is not currently contributing to the child's financial needs, the court can order him to pay child support, within his financial capabilities.

To proceed, you should consider consulting with a family law attorney who can provide guidance based on the specifics of your situation and the laws in your state. They can help you understand your options and the best course of action to ensure your child's needs are met.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.