San Antonio, TX asked in Constitutional Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Washington

Q: Should a magistrate judge recognize another state's judgement on the same issues and law referenced is a federal one?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In addressing your question, it's important to consider the principles of Full Faith and Credit Clause under the U.S. Constitution. This clause generally requires that federal and state courts must recognize and respect the judgments rendered by courts in other states, provided those judgments are final and on the merits.

However, the application of this principle can vary depending on the specifics of the case. If the law referenced in the judgment is federal, and the issues adjudicated are identical, a magistrate judge in one state often gives consideration to the judgment from another state. This is particularly true if the underlying legal principles are federally governed.

But keep in mind, the decision to recognize another state's judgment can also be influenced by factors such as jurisdictional issues, procedural fairness, and public policy considerations of the state where the recognition is sought. It's advisable to review the specifics of the case and consult legal counsel for tailored guidance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.