Asked in Land Use & Zoning and Tax Law for Louisiana

Q: My neighbor has paid my property taxes before I can even within the time frame What recourse do I have

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Louisiana, if your neighbor pays your property taxes, it's essential to understand the implications of this action. Generally, paying someone else's property taxes can lead to a claim of interest in the property, especially if this continues over a period of time.

Your first step should be to repay your neighbor for the taxes they paid. This repayment is crucial to prevent any implication that they have an interest in your property. Make sure to document this repayment carefully.

Next, it's important to communicate with your local tax authority. Explain the situation and confirm that future tax notifications and bills are sent directly to you in a timely manner. This will help avoid any confusion in the future.

Finally, consider consulting with an attorney experienced in land use and zoning or tax law. They can offer specific advice tailored to your situation and help ensure your property rights are protected. Remember, taking swift and appropriate action is key to resolving this issue and safeguarding your property rights.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.