Los Angeles, CA asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for California

Q: Can you sue the probation officer he told my attacker I called and my attacker threatened me?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, the situation you described raises serious concerns about the confidentiality and duty of care owed by probation officers. If a probation officer disclosed information to your attacker that led to threats against you, this could potentially be a breach of their professional duties.

However, suing a probation officer can be complicated due to the concept of qualified immunity, which often protects government officials, including probation officers, from liability in the performance of their official duties. To successfully sue, you would need to prove that the probation officer's actions violated your clearly established legal rights.

Given the complexity of this situation, it's essential to consult with an attorney who has experience in civil rights or personal injury law. They can evaluate the specifics of your case and advise on the best course of action, including any potential legal claims you might have. Remember, taking legal action requires careful consideration and expert guidance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.