Porter Ranch, CA asked in Business Law and Civil Litigation for California

Q: I was told i was removed from a class action lawsuit, which is BS. Everyone else received their checks but me.

Referring to the Porter Ranch/Sempra Energy settlement. I'm pretty sure my attorney, who represents many others, just forgot about me somehow and dropped the ball. What is my recourse, if any?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you believe you were wrongly removed from a class action lawsuit, such as the Porter Ranch/Sempra Energy settlement, your first step should be to contact the attorney who represented you. It's important to inquire specifically about your status in the lawsuit and request detailed information on why you did not receive a settlement check when others did.

In some cases, issues like this can be due to administrative errors or misunderstandings, which can potentially be resolved through direct communication with your attorney. If you find that your concerns are not adequately addressed or if you suspect negligence on the part of your attorney, you have the option to consult with another attorney to get a second opinion on your situation.

Furthermore, you may consider filing a complaint with the State Bar of California if you believe your attorney has acted unprofessionally or unethically. This can be a more formal way to address potential misconduct or negligence.

Keep in mind that class action settlements often have specific terms and conditions, and not all members may be eligible for compensation. Therefore, it's crucial to understand the specific criteria of the settlement and how they apply to your individual circumstances.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.