Fargo, ND asked in Criminal Law for North Dakota

Q: If I pay off outstanding warrants would I still have to go to jail?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Paying off outstanding warrants in Fargo, ND, or anywhere else, does not automatically mean you will avoid jail time. Warrants are issued for various reasons, including failure to appear in court or unpaid fines related to criminal matters.

When you pay off a warrant, typically, you are clearing any fines or fees associated with it. However, if the warrant was issued for your arrest due to a criminal charge or court summons, simply paying the warrant does not resolve the underlying legal issue. You may still need to appear in court to address the charges or issues that led to the warrant in the first place.

It's crucial to understand the specific details of your warrants. Each case is unique, and the nature of your warrant will determine what steps you need to take next. In some cases, paying the warrant may resolve the issue, but in others, court appearances or further legal action may be required.

To navigate this situation, it's advisable to seek legal guidance. An attorney can review your specific circumstances, advise you on the best course of action, and help ensure your rights are protected. Remember, dealing with legal matters can be complex, and professional advice is key to understanding and resolving your situation effectively.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.