Taylor, MI asked in Constitutional Law for Michigan

Q: May I request photographs mailed to me under the Freedom of Information Act?

How do I request photos by mail and where is it cited if I may?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) in Michigan, you have the right to request access to public records, including photographs, from any public body. To request photos by mail, you'll need to send a written request to the agency that holds the photographs.

In your request, be as specific as possible about the photographs you're seeking. Include details like the subject matter, date range, and any other relevant information that can help the agency identify the records you want. You should also specify that you're making the request under the Michigan Freedom of Information Act.

You can find the specifics of the FOIA process, including how to submit a request, in the Michigan Freedom of Information Act, Public Act No. 442 of 1976, MCL 15.231 et seq. This act is available online and outlines the procedures and timelines for public bodies to respond to FOIA requests.

Keep in mind that while you have the right to request these photographs, the agency may charge a fee to cover the cost of copying and mailing them. Also, certain photographs may be exempt from disclosure under the act, depending on their content and the context in which they were taken.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.