Philadelphia, PA asked in Municipal Law for Pennsylvania

Q: My car is legal good reg. Good ins. And is parked with traffic has a flat and police are saying it has to be moved

It has been there for a while but we don't have the money for tires right now it's in westville out front of our apartment

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Municipal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Pennsylvania, even if your car is legally registered and insured, local ordinances or state laws may require that vehicles parked on public streets are in operable condition. This often includes not having flat tires or other conditions that make the vehicle appear abandoned or inoperable.

If the police are requesting you move your car due to a flat tire, it's likely because it's considered a violation of these ordinances. The length of time the car has been parked in the same spot with a flat tire might also be a contributing factor to their request.

Since you mentioned financial constraints regarding tire repair, you might consider seeking temporary assistance or exploring local resources that could help address the tire issue. In the meantime, communicating your situation to the police or local authorities and asking for any possible allowances or extensions might be helpful.

It's important to address this issue promptly to avoid potential fines or towing. If you find the situation challenging to navigate, consulting with a legal professional or local legal aid organization could provide more specific guidance based on your circumstances and local laws. They can offer advice on how to comply with the regulations while managing your current limitations.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.