Asked in Child Support and Family Law for Ohio

Q: How likely is it for someone to go to jail over back child support in Ohio state?

The person pays the mother monthly with a portion of their paycheck even when they don't get to see the child, there is no existing child support order due the fact of paternity not being established as of yet.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Todd B. Kotler
Todd B. Kotler
  • Canton, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Under these facts no one is going to jail. If there is no order, there is no arrears. If there is a pending case, the Court may award arrears, however, the obligor will have an opportunity to pay back them back over time. Seeing the child is a separate matter from whether one must pay support. The obligor should contact an attorney who regularly practices family relations law in whatever county the child resides, and file a motion to establish paternity, and parental rights and responsibilities.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.