Buda, TX asked in Family Law for Texas

Q: I hired an attorney in a civil case and I'm the plaintiff, and he missed the court date. I lost my case. what can I do?

I served my ex-husband papers with Motion to Modify to get standard visitation rights to see my kids. My lawyer failed to notify me of the court date nor did he show up for court either. My ex-husband and his attorney were the only ones there. So the judge ruled in his favor with prejudice against me. I've tried contacting my lawyer twice about this issue. And he has not responded back. What can I do? Court date was set up in caldwell County, in Texas.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rafee'a S. Majeed
Rafee'a S. Majeed
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: In this case because neither yourself (nor your attorney) showed for the court hearing, a default judgment was entered against you. Depending on when the Judge signed the default order, you may be able to file a Motion for New Trial to request that you be granted another hearing. You have 30 days from the date the default judgment/order was signed to file your Motion for New Trial.

I hope this information helps. Good luck to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.