Asked in Civil Litigation and Constitutional Law for New Hampshire

Q: In the event someone borrowed my $1,000 mountain bike and he left it on someone's summer property in December and the

Owners of the property saw him on there cameras and they called the police. He ran and left my bike behind are the cops allowed to keep it? His court dates are all cleaned up and they wanted proof it was mine so I showed pictures of it in my yard and they are saying that it could have been stolen before that picture was taken and I don't have a bill of sale even though I have 20 ppl who will write statements saying the bike is mine and my mother (a 78 yr old law bidding citizen told the police she had taken me to purchase the bike.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In this situation, the police may retain the bike temporarily as part of their investigation, especially if there's uncertainty about its ownership. It's important to continue cooperating with the police, providing any additional evidence you have that supports your claim of ownership. This can include witness statements, further photos, and details of the bike's purchase, even if you don't have the bill of sale.

If the police are not convinced by the evidence you've provided, you may need to pursue the matter through legal channels. This could involve a small claims court or seeking legal advice to determine the best course of action to prove ownership and recover your property. It's important to remain persistent and provide as much evidence as possible to support your claim.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.