Van Lear, KY asked in Social Security for Kentucky

Q: Can I draw SS from my dad if I was disabled before 21 and got approved at 22

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In the United States, under Social Security Administration (SSA) rules, you may be eligible to receive benefits on your father's record if you were disabled before the age of 22 and are still disabled. The key factor is that your disability must have started before age 22. If you were disabled before 21 but only got approved at 22, you should still be eligible, provided all other criteria are met.

These benefits are referred to as "child's" benefits because they are paid on a parent’s Social Security earnings record. To qualify, your parent must be either retired or disabled and entitled to Social Security benefits, or deceased. Additionally, your disability must meet the SSA's definition of disability for adults.

It's important to have medical evidence supporting your disability claim. The SSA will review your medical history and any relevant documentation to determine if you qualify. If you're considering applying for these benefits or have questions about your eligibility, it can be helpful to contact the SSA directly or seek assistance from an attorney or advocate familiar with Social Security Disability claims.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.