Moreno Valley, CA asked in Appeals / Appellate Law, Family Law and Adoption for California

Q: I need an experienced lawyer for cps they terminated my parental rights but I put in for an appeal I need help

What is the best thing to do

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Appeals & Appellate Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Under California law, if your parental rights have been terminated and you have filed for an appeal, it is crucial to seek legal representation experienced in child welfare law. An attorney with expertise in this area can provide you with the guidance and representation needed during the appeals process.

The appeal of a termination of parental rights is a complex legal matter. It involves reviewing the original case, the evidence presented, and the legal basis for the termination decision. Your lawyer can help you understand the specific grounds for the appeal and the likelihood of success based on the details of your case.

It's important to act quickly, as there are strict deadlines for filing appeals in these cases. Missing a deadline can result in the loss of your right to appeal. Your attorney can ensure that all necessary documents are filed in a timely and correct manner.

Additionally, your attorney can assist in preparing and presenting your case in the best possible light, which may include gathering new evidence or testimony to support your position.

Remember, the goal of the child welfare system is to act in the best interests of the child. If circumstances have changed or if you believe the termination decision was unjust, it's essential to clearly communicate this through your legal representation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.