Sacramento, CA asked in Personal Injury, Animal / Dog Law, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Hawaii

Q: If the Attorney General turns a blind eye to serious issues among multiple non profits serving homeless what can I do?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you're concerned that the Attorney General is not addressing issues with nonprofits serving the homeless, there are several steps you can take. First, document your concerns clearly and comprehensively. This should include specific instances of the issues you've observed, along with any evidence you have gathered.

Next, consider reaching out to other government agencies or officials who might have jurisdiction over these matters. This could include state regulatory agencies overseeing nonprofits, or local government officials who may have more direct involvement with these organizations.

You also have the option to raise awareness through other channels. This can involve contacting media outlets or engaging with community groups that share your concerns. Public attention can sometimes prompt action where official channels have not.

Another avenue is legal action, although this should be considered carefully. If there are clear legal violations, a lawsuit might be an option. However, legal action can be costly and time-consuming, so it's important to weigh this decision against the potential outcomes.

Lastly, consider getting involved directly with these nonprofits or forming a coalition to improve the situation from within. Sometimes change is more effectively driven by those who are actively engaged in the work. Your insights and dedication can make a significant difference in improving services for the homeless.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.