Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Hawaii Civil Rights Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Civil Rights and Employment Discrimination for Hawaii on
Q: I'm inquiring about my employers wanting further explanation of my religious exemption which was previously approved.

Now they sent me a list of questions asking me to explain why. Their also asking if "I've put my practice(religion) into any other areas in my life?"

Also if "I've taken other vaccines and or medications in the pass as an adult?" With six more intrusive... Read more »

Mark Simonds
Mark Simonds answered on Nov 10, 2021

Typically, when a religious exemption to a work-related medical requirement is requested, employers may make reasonable inquiries into your sincerely held religious belief, in order to determine whether it is, in fact, genuine. If it is determined to be so, then reasonable accommodations must be... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption, Civil Rights and Gov & Administrative Law for Hawaii on
Q: For married co-plaintiffs, can he proceed pro se to represent himself while she hires an attorney to represent herself?

We are both suing the Hawaii Department of Human Services and some of its employees in federal court. He wants to give opening and closing statements and cross examinations but she wants an attorney to do it. We also both have differing litigation strategies. Can we have the best of both worlds and... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Aug 4, 2021

I suggest you delete your case reference.

The individuals should both use an attorney, but if for some reason that is not possible, Federal Courts allow pro se appearances. You may, if applicable, want to fill out the forms to proceed in forma pauperis, which waives most fees.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury, Civil Rights and Domestic Violence for Hawaii on
Q: Is there invasion of privacy law in hawaii

I'm having Ni some with the person I. Have 21st

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Sep 4, 2020

A Hawaii attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for two weeks. There most likely are such laws, as invasion of privacy is addressed in virtually every jurisdiction. It's a broad offense and can cover different wrongful acts, from disclosing sensitive information to casting the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Hawaii on
Q: I filed a police report for Unauthorized computer access, because perpetrators were hacking onto my security cameras.

The Detective said there was a cliche with my system. We contacted tech support and they said it's not a cliche. Due to an increase in hacking of our system we filed a 2nd report. Without contacting us and only looking at the evidence we summited in our report. The investigator has... Read more »

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Nov 14, 2019

glitch not cliche

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Criminal Law for Hawaii on
Q: Can the police enter a hotel room and use things found there against me and ubtain search warrants for vehicles I drive
Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Feb 25, 2019

Without knowing the particulars of your case, the answer is generally yes

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Hawaii on
Q: Wrongful foreclosure.excessive force by sheriff's. Should I take a plea?

Should I settle on degree assault? I was in a choke hold(100lbs) by a 300lb sheriff ..was trying to breath..said I kicked him and being charged w/ 1st degree assault

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Sep 30, 2018

There is no way an internet attorney could advise you based on those limited facts.

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents, Traffic Tickets and Civil Rights for Hawaii on
Q: Hrs 286-207 exemptions certain vehicles. Part 8

Does this mean I don't have to register,license, and insure my automobile? Thank you

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Apr 8, 2017

You are missing something. The DMV doesn't agree with you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.