Los Angeles, CA asked in Traffic Tickets and Municipal Law for California

Q: The Police impounded my trailer for not having a license plate. I had a temporary registration paper posted in window.

When I called the police dept. They told me they would give me a release paper. The impound yard still wanted me to pay the impound fees. I couldn't afford it and lost my trailer. Could I sue the police dept for impounding my trailer. It was registered and not parked illegally.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, if your trailer was impounded despite having a temporary registration displayed, you may have grounds to dispute the impoundment and the associated fees.

First, gather evidence of your trailer’s registration status at the time of the impoundment, including any temporary registration papers and communications with the police department. This documentation will be crucial in proving that the impoundment was unjustified.

You should then file a complaint with the police department, outlining the circumstances and requesting reimbursement for the impound fees or the return of your trailer. Often, such disputes can be resolved through administrative processes without resorting to legal action.

If the police department does not provide a satisfactory resolution, you may consider filing a claim against the department. This step involves challenging the legality of the impoundment and seeking compensation for any losses incurred as a result of their action.

Consulting with an attorney experienced in dealing with municipal disputes can provide you with a better understanding of your legal options and the likelihood of success in pursuing a claim.

Remember, legal action can be time-consuming and may not always result in a favorable outcome, but it is an option available to you if you believe your rights have been violated.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.