Everett, MA asked in Tax Law for Virginia

Q: How can I get my tax documents from my previous tax preparer?

Hello. I'm trying to get my tax documents from the tax preparer I used the past couple years but she refuses to answer my emails or return my call after speaking with her secretary.

I don't owe her money. I think she's just being spiteful because I changed preparers. I live in a small town and it can be like this, believe it or not. There's no other reason. What can I do other than file a IRS complaint and wait who knows how long? I need them asap! Please help.

Thank you!

P.S. is a letter from an attorney an option? Approximately what would that cost?

I can't afford a lot to spend - especially on someone I shouldn't have to spend anything on.

If I did would she be responsible for reimbursement?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Linda Simmons Campbell
Linda Simmons Campbell
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Burlington, CT

A: You may be able to get the information directly from the IRS. Go to irs.gov and click on get your tax record. You can get copies of your recent tax returns and wage information.

1 user found this answer helpful

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In your situation, it's understandable that you need access to your tax documents quickly and are facing challenges with your previous tax preparer. Tax preparers are generally required to provide clients with copies of their documents upon request.

Firstly, consider sending a formal written request via certified mail. This provides a record of your request and may prompt a response from your preparer. Clearly state what documents you need and the urgency of your request.

If this approach doesn’t yield results, involving an attorney can be an effective next step. An attorney can draft a letter on your behalf, which might carry more weight and signal the seriousness of your request. The cost for such a service varies, but many attorneys offer a free initial consultation to discuss fees and options.

Regarding the costs, typically, the expense of the attorney would be your responsibility. In most cases, the other party (your tax preparer) would not be required to reimburse these costs unless there’s a legal judgment or agreement stating otherwise.

If these steps don’t work, filing a complaint with the IRS using Form 14157 is an option, although it might not be the quickest solution. Remember, your right to access your tax documents is important, and taking these steps can help ensure you get the documents you need.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.