Las Vegas, NV asked in Criminal Law for Nevada

Q: Can I have my friend who's incarcerated in prison released on parole to my address?

I stay in a studio apartment but am willing to have him stay with me if he's released. Can I write a letter to parole and probation letting them know he does have a address to go to if he is released

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Licensed in Nevada

A: In general, the process for releasing an individual on parole involves a thorough assessment of various factors, including the suitability of the proposed residence. If you are willing to provide your address for your friend's parole, you may be able to express your willingness in writing to the parole and probation authorities. However, several considerations will likely be taken into account, such as the size of your studio apartment, your friend's criminal history, and the terms of his parole.

It's crucial to ensure that your friend complies with all parole requirements and that the proposed living arrangement aligns with the conditions set by the parole board. Writing a letter expressing your willingness to provide a residence is a good step, but the final decision will be made by the parole board after a comprehensive review.

To proceed, you should reach out to the parole and probation office in the relevant jurisdiction in Nevada for guidance on the specific steps you need to take and the information required to support your friend's parole request.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.