Wareham, MA asked in Family Law for Massachusetts

Q: We can no longer care for our adult disabled son need someone to be guardian need help

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: If you're in a situation where you can no longer care for your adult disabled son and are seeking a guardian, the first step is to understand the legal process for guardianship in Massachusetts. Guardianship involves a court appointing an individual or organization to make decisions for an adult who is unable to make decisions for themselves.

You should file a petition for guardianship in the probate court in the county where your son resides. This process includes providing evidence of your son's incapacity and demonstrating that guardianship is in his best interest. It's essential to prepare and present medical or other expert opinions to support the need for guardianship.

Consider reaching out to social services or community organizations for guidance and support. They often have resources and can assist in navigating the legal process or even identifying potential guardians.

Remember, guardianship is a significant legal responsibility and changes the rights of your son. Therefore, it might be helpful to consult with a legal professional to ensure you understand the implications and that the process is handled correctly. They can guide you through the legal requirements and help find the best solution for your son's care and wellbeing.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.