New Milford, PA asked in Copyright, Intellectual Property and Internet Law for Pennsylvania

Q: A person took all my kids photos from my Facebook and made a Facebook account and Added it collection of photos of kids

He also likes all the elementary school posts

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In such a situation, it's important to take immediate action. First, you should report the unauthorized Facebook account to Facebook. They have specific procedures for dealing with accounts that improperly use personal images, especially those of minors.

You may also want to contact local law enforcement, as using children's photos without consent can sometimes be a legal issue. Law enforcement can investigate the matter further and determine if any laws have been violated.

It's advisable to review the privacy settings on your own Facebook account to ensure your children's photos are not publicly accessible in the future. This can help prevent similar incidents from occurring.

Lastly, consider seeking legal advice to explore any additional actions you can take, such as a cease and desist letter to the individual, if their identity is known, or legal remedies if any laws have been breached. Your primary concern should be the safety and privacy of your children, and these steps can help address the issue.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.