Wilmington, DE asked in Real Estate Law and Civil Litigation for Delaware

Q: How long do I have to be able to do a civil suite against the seller of the house I bought who lied on the Disclosure De

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In Delaware, the statute of limitations for filing a civil lawsuit regarding real estate fraud is typically three years from the date the fraud was discovered or should have been discovered. This means you have three years to initiate legal action from the time you become aware of the false statements in the seller's disclosure.

It's important to note that these cases hinge on proving that the seller knowingly provided false information or failed to disclose known defects in the property. Gathering evidence, such as the disclosure form, correspondence with the seller, and any relevant inspections or reports, will be crucial in building your case.

Consider consulting with a lawyer experienced in real estate law. They can assess the specifics of your situation, advise you on the strength of your case, and guide you through the legal process. They can also help ensure that any action you take is within the legal time frame and follows the correct procedures.

Remember, legal action can be time-consuming and potentially costly. Weigh the potential benefits against the costs and stress involved. Sometimes, alternative dispute resolution methods like mediation might be a more efficient way to resolve such disputes.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.