Adrian, MI asked in Probate for Michigan

Q: Is Michigan's probate Notice of Intent form (PC 557) needed if a Personal Representative is named in a Will?

We lost your stepmother last month. She had both a Will and Addendum to her Will Notarized and Witnessed. She has no natural children, both her spouse (my father) and parents are deceased. She has a sister living. She appointed me as Personal Representative in her Will. When I file the Application for Informal Probate, do I need the Notice of Intent form? If I understand correctly the person named in the Will as Personal Representative has the highest priority. So I believe, no notices would need to be served since there would be no person whose right to an appointment is prior or equal to my own. Or do I still have to submit the form even though there would be no Proof of Service forms to attach?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Fowlerville, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: My condolences on your loss.

The BRIEF answer to your question is: no that form is not needed.

This and SO many other questions will be resolved quickly and easily and with relatively little cost if you hire a local licensed attorney to help you. None of the forms and procedures to complete an estate are HARD, but there is a lot of DETAIL and many deadlines that you need to comply with. A lawyer will have policies and procedures set up to make sure you don't miss anything.

Additionally, it is not necessarily REQUIRED that informal or formal probate be done if the estate was planned properly. HOWEVER once you file with the court, you're locked into that course even if it isn't necessary.

Seek legal representation BEFORE you file anything -- you may find there is an easier way!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.