Asked in Real Estate Law and Contracts for Puerto Rico

Q: A Florida company bought the property management company managing my property located in PR. Where can I file suit?

Property is in Puerto Rico, transactions occurred online and they kept the money paid to them by my guests. Not all but some.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rafael  Pagan-Colon
Rafael Pagan-Colon
  • San Juan, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Your question does not state your cause of action for suing. Given that the company is in Florida, I'm assuming that they have no presence in Puerto Rico. In that scenario, diversity of (state) citizenship stipulates that you'd need to file the lawsuit in the Federal Court for the District of Puerto Rico. However, in order for your lawsuit to be accepted by said forum, the remedy amount claimed must exceed $75,000.00.

You could file in the local Puerto Rico and bring the Florida company under the jurisdiction of the court by serving the lawsuit via edict. However, any sentence dictated by the Puerto Rico court will need to be presented before a Florida court for admission in said jurisdiction.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.