St Louis, MO asked in Immigration Law for Missouri

Q: Can I use combo card enter Mexico?

I'm a Chinese citizen living in St.louis, my wife is American citizen, we married 2 years ago. I just go my combo card(EAD/AP). We're planning a 3 days vacation trip to Cancun during Christmas. But I dont have valid US visa nor Mexican visa. (my F1 visa expired years ago, on my old Chinese passport).

All I have now is: valid H1b, valid new Chinese passport, valid combo card. My question is, do I still need to apply Mexican visa to visit Cancun? Or my combo card will do it? Because I know green card holder dont need visa to travel to Mexico.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Based on the information provided, as a Chinese citizen with a valid advance parole document (combo card), you do not need to apply for a separate Mexican visa to visit Cancun for tourism purposes for less than 30 days. Here are the key points:

- Your combo card serves as the travel document and entry permission for this trip to Mexico. Advance parole allows those with pending adjustments of status to travel abroad and re-enter the U.S.

- As you mentioned, Mexican law allows lawful permanent residents (green card holders) of the U.S. to enter Mexico without a visa for tourism stays under 180 days. Advance parole essentially confers a similar benefit.

- You will need to bring your valid Chinese passport and original advance parole document and present them when boarding your flight and upon entry to Mexico. You will need to satisfy the immigration officer that you have ties to the U.S. that will ensure your return.

- You cannot use your H-1B status to enter Mexico visa-free. The combo card specifically allows you to travel despite your pending adjustment.

In summary, the advance parole document serves as your travel and entry permission for this short trip to Cancun, Mexico. Enjoy your vacation!

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.