Plattsburgh, NY asked in Personal Injury, Civil Litigation and Wrongful Death for South Carolina

Q: What can I do if my old trucking company is being falsely accused in a wrongful death lawsuit?

We went out of business in 2011-2012. The deadly accident occurred in SC in 2020. We moved to NY in 2013. The DOT number listed in the lawsuit is not our old DOT number. I have contacted several lawyers in NY & SC only to be told that this isn’t in their wheelhouse. Meanwhile, I have 15 days left to answer the summons.

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A South Carolina attorney may be able to advise best, since that is the state you posted under. But your question remains open for a week and you mention a short timeline in which to respond to a summons. If there was a liability policy in effect at the time of the accident, the carrier should be making arrangements for your defense. You may want to contact the insurance carrier or your agent first thing Monday morning. If they are not able or willing to provide guidance/representation, you would need to reach out to attorneys in your state to sort out why, and what your next options are. I can't speak for the incorrect DOT number you mention, if you're suggesting they have the wrong company, wrong vehicle, or it wasn't a vehicle covered under your commercial truck policy. Either way, don't ignore this. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.